Tel: +61 2 8227 4400
- Equity & Trusts
- Competition & Consumer
- Wills and Estates
- Building & Construction
Marcus Young served as a tipstaff in the Equity Division of the Supreme Court of NSW from 1989 to 1993. In 1993 he became a barrister at the NSW bar, an occupation he has held continuously ever since. In 2011 he became Senior Counsel. His practice has always focussed on equity, commercial and real property matters, primarily in the Supreme Court of NSW, and has included many appeals. Often (but far from always) his cases involve disputes about real property. His chambers has been consistently located within University Chambers throughout his career.
Marcus has co-written a book on mortgages, which has gone into two editions. He particularly enjoys appearing at mediations. He also amuses himself constructing in-house Continuing Professional Development practical exercises. Outside of work, he enjoys reading military history, playing a variety of indoor games and creating and participating in elaborate live-action role-play events.
Three interesting (yet true) facts about Marcus:
- Marcus is a fifth-generation lawyer, with each successive lawyer having been admitted exactly 30 years after the lawyer of the previous generation.
- NSW parliament once amended the Forfeiture Act a couple of weeks before Marcus’ appearing at a trial so as to enable his client to ensure her sister’s killers did not benefit from her estate.
- Marcus once had his T-shirt stolen by the Taliban.
Some interesting (but not necessarily representative) cases in which Marcus has appeared over the decades of his practice can be found here.
- Grgic v Australian and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (1994) 33 NSWLR 202
- King Investment Solutions v Hussain  NSWSC 1076
- Fitter v Public Trustee and Ors  NSWSC 1487
- Capital Access Australia Pty Limited v Hraiki and Anor  NSWSC 109
- Benson v Rational Entertainment Enterprises Ltd  NSWSC 906
- Golden Mile Property Investments Pty Ltd (in liq) v Cudgegong Australia Pty Ltd  NSWCA 224
- Sneakerboy Retail Pty Ltd trading as Sneakerboy v Georges Properties Pty Ltd  NSWSC 996 (31 July 2020)
Co-author of The Essential Guide to Mortgage Law in New South Wales, Lexis Nexis, 2008.
Co-author of The Essential Guide to Mortgage Law in Australia, Lexis Nexis, 2013.